Steamed sweetcorn is one of our favorite evening snack as it is quick to make and yet very tasty. I simply steam it and add butter, salt and pepper. A topping of bhujiya if in mood for some “chaat like” snack. But that’s about it! Even though sweetcorn is a regular in my fridge, I have never made more snacks with it. So when a dear friend, Sushma posted a pan fried Crispy Corn (instead of the regular deep fried one) on her blog Authentic Food Delights, I knew I had to try it out.
And it really is a delight of a recipe just like her blog name. Being spice lovers’, we loved it very much. The sweetcorn coated in the tangy spicy sauce is an amazing treat to the taste buds. I am very happy to have found an easy evening snack added to my menu.
Do try this as a change from the usual steamed sweetcorn and you are sure to love it. Happy and Healthy Cooking!
Thank you Sushma for this yummy recipe.
Health Benefits of Corn: Rich source of vitamins and provides essential minerals, Reduces risk of hemorrhoids,Has Anti oxidant properties and Prevents anemia..
Do try out this delicious Corn Pulao too!
Adapted from:Authentic Food Delights
2 Cups Sweetcorn kernels (frozen/fresh)
3 to 4 Garlic cloves
1 inch Ginger piece
1 Green chilli
2 Tbsp Tomato ketchup
1 Tbsp Red chilli sauce or Schezwan sauce
1/2 tsp Pepper powder
Salt to taste
3 Tbsp Rice Powder
1 Tbsp Corn Flour
1/2 tsp Pepper Powder
Salt to taste
2 Tbsp Oil for pan frying the corn + 1 tsp for the sauce
Coriander leaves for garnish
1. Remove the corn from the cob if using fresh ones and steam them in a steamer. I steam in my idli steamer. If using frozen ones, just wash them well and steam.
2. Once steamed, add the rice powder, corn flour, pepper powder and salt. Mix well. No need to add water as the water released during steaming is sufficient.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a frying pan and add the corns. Let it get roasted lightly on one side. Then pan fry and roast all sides. Keep the flame on medium. Once done, remove and keep aside.
4. Heat 1 tsp oil in the same pan and add finely chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry till they turn light brown.
5. Now add tomato ketchup and chilli sauce along with pepper powder and salt. Mix well.
6. Now add the pan fried corn and mix well. Cover and cook for a minute (on a low flame) till the corn blends with the sauce. Remove from flame.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.