Paneer lovers’, raise your hands please! Okay, I see three pairs of hands here. Two big and one tiny one. Yes, the dosa crazy family is a huge paneer fan too. We can eat, drink and sleep on Paneer (Wow. Imagine the soft Paneer bed. ;)) So while making my mom’s style of chutney pulao, this thought struck me of making a paneer gravy with the masala and thus became the Paneer hara masala.
With fresh coriander leaves in my refrigerator and fresher mint in my garden, the flavors of hara masala came out great. The gravy is very different from the usual tomato based gravy and any yummy change is always welcome, right?
The recipe too is a quick and no frills one and hardly takes 20 mins to make this delicious gravy. You can have it with jeera rice or rotis and it makes the tastiest meal ever.
So do try Paneer hara masala for your special weekend lunch and enjoy!
200 grams Paneer (in cubes)
2 medium Onions
1 medium Tomato
1/2 a large Capsicum
1 Tbsp Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds/ Jeera
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chilli powder
1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
1/2 tsp Kasuri methi
1/2 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
For the hara masala:
10 to 12 sprigs of fresh Coriander leaves
1/2 Cup fresh Mint leaves
5 Green chillies or to taste
5 large cloves of Garlic
1 inch Ginger piece
1. If using frozen Paneer, soak it in warm water for 30 mins or till use.
2. Add all ingredients for the masala in a chutney grinder and grind till it turns a fine paste.
3. Thin slice Capsicum and Tomato. Finely chop onions. Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a kadai. Add jeera and allow it to change colour.
5. Now add finely chopped onions and keep frying till it turns pink in colour.
6. Now add the ground paste and saute for a minute.
7. Throw in the capsicum and tomato juliennes and mix well. Let it cook in the gravy for a minute on medium flame.
8. Now add the red chilli, turmeric and garam masala powders. Do not more garam masala powder than mentioned as this can mask the flavors of the hara masala.
9. Add paneer cubes and mix well. Add around 2 to 3 Tbsp of water and mix again. Cover and cook on a low flame for 5 minutes.
10. Now add crush kasuri methi between your palms and add along with little sugar. Mix well and remove from flame.
Serve paneer hara masala with Jeera rice or rotis.