I have to admit that I am not much of a mushroom fan. Every time the husband puts a packet of mushroom into our shopping basket, I shout out loud in my mind “why oh why!” and give him “the look”. He smiles back at me and says we will make Sukka with it. He knows sukka gravy is my weakness and I will finally agree on buying mushrooms. Though I love this homemade cream of mushroom soup which tastes exactly like restaurant soup, curry with mushrooms is a no no for me.
After a lunch at my friend Rajath’s house, a couple of months back, my relation with mushrooms changed forever. His mom had made a magnificent Kerala style lunch and that included this mushroom pepper masala. We loved it so much that I called back for the recipe. And guess what? The recipe of this amazing dish was so easy that it was really unbelievable. It is truly said that the simplest of the dishes taste the best.
And this spicy gravy makes a delicious combo with the matta rice gruel we have for dinner everyday. I thank Geetha Aunty for sharing her easy recipe which is definitely a keeper. Do try! Happy and Healthy Cooking!
Health Benefits of Button Mushroom: Benefits the heart health,has immune boosting ability,Anti cancer benefits,Contains different vitamins and minerals essential for the body..
More mushroom recipes : Mushroom Chettinad Achari Mushroom Mushroom Capsicum Masala Cream of Mushroom soup
1 Packet Button Mushrooms (200 grams)
1 small Potato
1 medium sized Onion
1 inch Ginger piece
3 to 4 Garlic cloves
3 Green chillies
2 to 3 sprigs of Curry leaves
1 tsp Pepper Powder or to taste
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
1. Slice Onions lengthwise. Finely chop ginger, garlic and green chillies. Wash well and quarter mushrooms. Peel and cube Potatoes.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
3. Add Onion slices and fry till translucent.
4. Now add ginger,garlic and green chilli bits and saute for few seconds.
5. Add potato pieces and mix well.
6. Add chopped mushrooms. Mix well.
7. Now add turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Now add approx 1/2 cup water. Don’t add a lot as mushrooms leave water while cooking.
9. Pressure cook for 4 to 5 whistles. Let the steam come down. Open the cooker.
10. Add pepper powder. Mix well and simmer for 5 mins. Remove from flame
Note: Do a taste test here to see if it needs more pepper powder or salt.
Serve with hot rice or rotis.