Today I really wish I could share these delicious muffins with all of you. It has come out that good! This recipe is definitely a keeper as it not only yields soft and moist muffins but is also very healthy with wheat flour, jaggery, bananas and strawberries in it. I got the basic recipe from here from where I substituted all purpose flour with wheat flour and sugar with jaggery. And please do not hesitate to add jaggery in your cakes. Trust me, you never know the difference.
The strawberries give a good bite to the soft banana flavored cake. I never thought they would come out so good. the whole batch got over within three days among the three of us. My toddler simply loved it where ‘loved it’ is an understatement. This is surely my best bake ever.
With Egyptian strawberries in the season here, I am all for baking more of these beauties. How about you? Keep baking healthy goodies! These homemade muffins are really a delight. Just look at the gorgeous colour.
Health Benefits of Strawberry: Packed with Anti oxidants and Anti Inflammatory Phytonutrients, Cardiovascular benefits, Blood Sugar regulation, Anti Cancer benefits..
Health Benefits of Banana: Cardiovascular protection from Potassium and Fiber, Soothing Protection from Ulcers, Contains Pectin which helps ease constipation, Protects Eyesight, Good for the bones,Promotes Kidney Health and also a great source of calories for weight watchers..
Health Benefits of Jaggery: Ability to cleanse the body, Acts as a digestive agent, Provides good amounts of minerals, Healthy substitute for sugar..
Health Benefits of Wheat: Since they are low in fat and high on fiber, they have been linked to reduce weight, the risks of stroke, type 2 diabetes, certain cancers and other health problems.. Substitute refined flour with whole wheat in your diet and see the positive health changes you will undergo..
2 Cups Wheat flour/ Atta/ Chapati flour (Mine is Al baker brand)
1 Cup chopped Strawberries
1 Cup mashed Bananas (about 2 large ones or 5 small ones)
1 Cup Jaggery
1/2 Cup melted Butter (120 g)
1/2 Cup Yogurt /thick curd
1 1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Baking soda
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Vanilla essence
1. Melt Jaggery in around 1/2 Cup water till jaggery dissolves completely.
2. Melt butter in a microwave till the butter softens. The butter should not boil. Allow the butter and jaggery water to cool down completely.
3. Meanwhile sift the dry ingredients: wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Sifting is a very important step for good, fluffy cakes.
4. Now add yogurt, mashed bananas and vanilla to the butter. Add jaggery water too. Mix well using a whisk.
5. Preheat the oven at 180 C for 10 mins. Line the muffin molds with butter. Keep aside.
6. Now add the chopped strawberries to the wheat flour mixture and mix well with hands. Make sure the berries are coated well with the flour, else the berries can sink while baking.
7. Add this flour mixture in parts to the wet mixture.
8. Mix using a spatula. Do NOT over mix.
9. Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan molds.
10. Bake at 180 C for 25 to 30 minutes till a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do NOT open the over door at least into 20 mins of baking time or else the muffins won’t bake properly.
11. Allow it to cool.
Remove and serve warm.
* You can refrigerate the remaining muffins. Just microwave for a minute before serving.
* Do not skip the sifting step. It is very important to get soft and fluffy cakes.
* You will never know this a jaggery muffin as it tastes very similar to sugar muffins. So do not hesitate to try this muffin using jaggery.
You can also try this hit recipe of Eggless Chocolate Banana Cake using wheat flour and jaggery which also has a quick chocolate frosting recipe without whipped cream.
Do message me on my Facebook page @HealthyCookingwithMitha if any queries. Will be my pleasure to help you bake healthy and delicious muffins.