Even though there are many recipes of the humble tomato chutney, I have never tried any other apart from this which I lovingly call “amma’s tomato chutney”. This chutney tastes best with neer dosa or Matta rice dosa and is a regular at our place. Amma used to make this chutney even with puris and I still remember the combined flavors of hot puris and tomato chutney. Yum!
Amma also made tomato jam and tomato soup with carrots which tasted really delicious. Me and my brother used to buzz around her while she made it to get a whiff of the aroma. While I loved both the jam and soup, my brother loved the soup more; hence Amma always made soup more than she made jam. These memories are so precious that even as I type this, it makes me emotional. I really miss those days!
Here we make this chutney specially during tomato season when we have loads of ripe tomatoes from our kitchen garden. The home grown tomatoes makes the flavors of this chutney even more special. Hope you all try this easy yet delicious chutney. Happy and Healthy cooking!
Health Benefits of Tomatoes: Reduced risk of heart disease,Supports bone health,Anti Cancer benefits,Reduced risk of neurological diseases and Obesity..
3 medium Tomatoes
1 medium Onion
2 tsp Red chilli Powder or to taste
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
A pinch of Hing/ Asafoetida
A sprig of Curry leaves
Salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
1. Heat 1 tsp Oil in a frying pan and add roughly chopped onions. Saute till they turn slightly translucent.
2. Add roughly chopped tomatoes and cook till they turn mushy.
3. Allow it to cool.
4. Blend with little water to a smooth paste.
5. Heat 1 tsp Oil in the same frying pan. Splutter mustard seeds and add hing and curry leaves. Saute for few seconds.
6. Now add the ground paste and little water (got from cleaning the mixer). Allow it to boil.
7. Add coriander powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix well. Adjust salt and chilli powder. Add more water if required.
8. Remove from flame.
Serve hot with dosas, idlis or rotis. Amma even made it with puris sometimes and it tastes great too.